If you have been keeping up with the latest nutrition science and research, the macronutrient, protein has been the star of the show lately.
What we know about this nutrient is that it’s main roles in the body is to build muscle, help with making enzymes, hormones and other blood chemicals. It also makes hair, nails and works as a building block for bones, cartilage, skin and blood.
That’s not why it’s the star of the show though. It’s the star of the show because for 4 calories a gram, it keeps you full for a long period of time. If weight loss is a challenge for you or a busy schedule prevents you from eating frequent meals, these snacks will help!
- Jerky – any animal muscle will do, so pick your favorite- beef, salmon turkey, bison, you’ll find some different options out there. 1 ounce of jerky gives you 7 grams of protein and usually very little fat.
- Nuts – most nuts will give you around 7 grams of protein per ounce and packed with lots of fiber and healthy fats. These will definitely hold off your hunger between meals.
- Roasted chickpeas – These are probably the newest kid on the block in the US but in Asia and Middle Eastern countries, they have been enjoying this snack for centuries. Half a cup of these delicious chickpeas give you 7 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber and 22 grams of complex carbohydrates.
- Pumpkin seeds – Who would have thought? Not just for enjoying during the fall months but year round. You’ll find these with yummy seasonings, like cajun, curry, sea salt or just plain. Packed with protein and fiber, 8 grams and 7 grams, respectively for 2/3 cup.
- Edamame – dried or fresh. Don’t be afraid to eat soy! That’s for a whole other blog but these little green beans give you a lot of nutrition. 1 cup gives you 17grams of protein, 8 grams of fiber and they are delicious!
You can also mix it up! Try mixing some of these for a homemade trail mix or adding them to a to go salad.
by Alene Baronian